A british family business since 1951

Our fabulously fresh eggs are produced and packed on our farm in Lincolnshire, usually from within a 25 mile radius. All our feathered friends are reared with us from day old chicks and fed on grains grown and milled on our farm. We are proud to produce every type of egg for the family kitchen table including barn, colony, free range and organic.

Organic Eggs Lincolnshire

Our Eggs

eggss

L J Fairburn and Son Limited produce 60% of the eggs they sell. The remaining 40% come from their loyal, hard working producers.

Every Fairburn farm is approved by the Lion Code. All barn, free range and organic eggs are produced on farms approved by RSPCA Freedom Foods, inspected to strict RSPCA legislation standards, ensuring exceptionally high animal welfare.

The British Lion mark on all Fairburn’s eggs means that they have been produced by hens vaccinated against salmonella and that the eggs have been produced to the highest standards of food safety.

Suppliers of woodland free range eggs, Fairburn’s are also keen supporters of the Woodland Trust. To date they have planted over 7,000 trees to complement existing woodland and help to fund tree planting projects in the UK.

All of Fairburn eggs are graded through fully automated modern packing facilities ensuring the highest standards of food hygiene and safety. The business has also invested in a Ovotrack full traceability system. This provides the most comprehensive and advanced traceability technology and enables the business to ensure a total traceability footprint direct from farm to the family fridge.

The crack detection system has 144 probes in total with each egg being hit a surprising 24 times before it’s class is assessed. Every egg is scanned using a bright light and a fibre optic probe, using the absorption principle to detect any eggs containing blood. They are also candled and quality checked for weight, albumen height, yolk colour and foreign bodies.

After trialing plastic trays at the end of 2015, these are now being rolled out across all farms to aid grading and transportation of eggs.

organic Organic

Organic eggs come from hens with additional space and freedom to explore woodland, or an area where trees have been planted to enrich the range. Special shelters protect them from the natural elements of the landscape. They are given an organic GM free diet on a range that is free from pesticides and fertilisers, reducing its impact on the environment. They are approved by RSPCA Freedom Food, Lion and the Organic Food Federation.  

 

Free Range

Free range eggs come from hens that are free to wander in pastures and woodland or other landscapes during daylight hours on RSPCA Freedom Food and Lion approved farms.

free-rangeThe birds enjoy the natural environment, exploring the range for insects and dust bathing to clean their feathers. Shelters are provided to offer shade on hot sunny days or shelter from the elements.  The state of the art multi-tier housing offers birds the opportunity to explore indoors too, keeping them fit and healthy. The tiers allow them to climb and roost, as well as encouraging them to drink and eat from clean water and feed sources.

 

barn Barn

Barn eggs come from RSPCA Freedom Food and Lion approved hens that have space to roam the barn. The birds interact with each other and have perches on which to roost, as well as plenty of room to stretch their wings and wander freely. Nesting boxes provide a quiet place for egg-laying and there is floor litter for scratching and dust bathing in.  The Multi-tier barns provide additional levels above ground for the hens to explore and roost.

 

colony Colony

Colony eggs are approved by the British Lion code. They come from hens that have recently, due to new welfare regulations, had significant investment in the systems they are housed in. The hen houses include more space per bird, a private nest box to lay eggs in, scratching region and special perching areas. All colony houses are naturally ventilated.

  • British Lion Quality
  • RSPCA
  • Organic Food
  • BRC Global
  • OF & G
  • UFAS
  • Select Lincolnshire
  • Wooldland Trust